Sep 9, 2012

Super Sunny Sunday



Sunday After the Storm

I suppose I can't be too upset with the all-night rain, since it did get rid of the awful humidity that was hanging in the air last week.  Today was absolutely perfect...no humidity, sunny, and mid-70's (my favorite temperature!)  

The clouds were just chillin' with the corn.  


Caution: Do not attempt to take pictures while driving.  Unless you live in the country and there are no other cars for miles.  

I spent the morning riding Lamont, a quarter horse I am leasing at a barn in Franklinville.


His legs are rather crooked, but I try not to hold that against him.  I met my coworker, Kim, there this morning and she rode her horse, Chance with me and Lamont (I made a friend!!).  Very relaxing way to spend this beautiful day, even though Lamont is constantly trying to get away with anything he can as soon as I stop paying attention.  He is devious.  

Before I left for the barn this morning, I threw together my Big Sunday Meal!


Things I changed: 
  • I substituted canned beans for dry.  (1 can of beans=1/2 cup dry).  So I used 2 cans of navy beans and 2 cans of kidney beans.  
  • Combine all the ingredients in a crockpot and set on high for 8 hours. 
  • In order for this recipe to work, you need to have a dog that will growl at the crockpot's bubbling sounds for the greater part of the day.  If you don't have one, I can lend you mine.  

I must say, this meal did not look highly appetizing when it was done.  Probably why there was no picture of it on the website.  But don't judge a book by its cover!  The pork was pull-apart-tender, and the navy beans had a nice creamy texture.  There were tons of leftovers which should last us most of the week.  I think mixing rice and maybe some sauteed spinach with the pork and beans would really complete the dish!  

As a side, I made some mashed sweet potatoes.  I had to resurrect my image of the sweet potato as an edible item after BearFace's shriveled creation from last night.


As usual, I was missing a few of the ingredients in my pantry, so I switched them up rather than make another trip to the store.  

My version: (I still followed the steps in the recipe, just used my own ingredients)
  • 3 sweet potatoes
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 tsp honey
  • 1 tbsp chile powder (that was the end of the bottle!)
  • 1 tsp curry powder (this is about the 3rd time I thought I had cumin in my spice cabinet, and then remembered later it was curry powder!)
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

The sweet potatoes were excellent, and yes, I am patting myself on the back for that one!  

No comments:

Post a Comment