Sep 8, 2012

Fetch?


Murphy and I got into a bit of an argument over the proper rules of “fetch” while at the park today.  My version, and I think you’ll agree with me, is quite classic.  I throw the stick, dog retrieves the stick, dog brings me the stick, dog drops the stick, I throw the stick, and so on.  Well my little buddy has had 3 weeks off fetch-playing while nursing his injury, and he seems to have completely forgotten the rules.  So, being the imaginative and creative pup he is, he decided to make up some new ones.  It went something like this:
  • Mom throws stick into water.
  • Dog runs to stick and picks it up.
  • Dog drops stick in water, picks it up, shakes it around.  
  • Dog runs in circles with stick.
  • Dog drops stick in sand very far away from Mom.
  • Dog decides to bury stick partially in sand.  
  • Dog gets sand up nose while trying to pick up stick.
  • Dog stares at Mom until she gets up and gets stick.  
  • Mom throws stick.  
Using the “bring it here” command got us nowhere, as Murphy has completely erased any memory of having ever known this phrase.   Telling him to “come” after he picked up the stick also got us nowhere.  He could not seem to comprehend how to simultaneously come to me AND carry the stick.  I’m pretty sure I actually did most of the fetching. Another one of the reasons my dog is so, so special!

Enjoying the view.  
Dinner tonight was supposed to be grilled turkey sausage, creamy cheddar polenta, and corn on the cob.  This did not happen because: A) turns out I did not have polenta in the cabinet like I thought I did (this is a rather frequent occurrence) and B) the corn at the farm stand down the road from us was rather rotten :(.  I think it’s getting to the end of corn-growing season here.  I’ve been noticing that the corn in the fields is starting to turn yellowish!  Fall is coming!!!

Anyway, I ended up making one of my “throw things together” dinners.  
  • 3 pieces lean sweet Italian turkey sausage
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Fresh spinach
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Lower heat to a simmer and leave covered until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
  3. Grill turkey sausage, about 5 minutes per side on medium heat.  
  4. Add 2 cloves minced garlic, sliced sausage, and several handfuls baby spinach to quinoa.  Stir over low heat until spinach cooks down.  (Chicken broth can be added if more moisture is needed.)
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sorry, no pictures of this one, but it was quite tasty.  The ingredients in this dish are pretty basic, so experimenting with different flavors is a breeze! I’ll probably change it up a bit next time I make it.  
Can’t wait for Saturday…Drew, Murphy and I will be out of the cornfields and off to Connecticut for the long weekend!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment