Sep 8, 2012

Lazy Day Sunday


Out of commission.  His on-again/off-again limp went on-again about 3 weeks ago, so we did the now-routine 2 weeks of “rest” and anti-imflammatories.  I say “rest” because the less he exercises outside, the nuttier he is inside.  There are moments when his pupils dilate, his muscles tense up, and you can see that his brain is going into hyperspeed.  Usually this is a second before he gets the “zoomies”, and tears around the house like a bat out of hell.  So you can see, the healing process is tricky.  
Anyway, his leg was much better after 2 weeks off, so we did a couple of short jogs to test it out, and then BearFace and I took him hiking to nearby Fort Mott State Park.  The park borders the Delaware River, and there is a nice, sandy river beach for him to run/splash/swim.  Of course, as soon as we got home, he was limping again.  Another week of rest and anti-inflammatories.  Pure doggy torture.  
This morning, he was about to jump ship and leave me for an owner who cares less about his health.  He followed me around for about 2 hours making tiny, soft whimpering sounds and looking oh-so-depressed until I caved and agreed to take him to Fort Mott—my compromise was that he had to remain on the leash the whole time.  
We were there for about an hour when the clouds suddenly cleared and the sun popped out.  ”Oh, how wonderful!” you might think.  Not so. Sun=shadows=Murphy goes batshit crazy.  So many butterflies there.  And no interest in the actual insect, only the intangible shadow of said insect.  Needless to say, we left rather abruptly.  He seems satisfied with this outing, as he has not made any attempts at escape today.  
Here are some pictures from Fort Mott the weekend before:
image
A sighting of a rare white Delaware River shark.
image
  Seconds after this photo was taken, the entire driftwood fort toppled.  Good job, Murphy.  (Just kidding)

image

THROW IT.  THROW IT NOW.  

image

Almost stepped on this guy today.  Anyone know what kind of snake?
Later on, a conversation with Mom:
     Me (via text): Can we please go to the beach when I’m home next wknd?  
A few minutes later, a call from Mom:
    Mom (to Dad in background): blah blah blee bloo blah blah 
    Me: Hello? Mom? Mom? Are you there? Hello?
    Me (exasperated): HELLO. HELLO. MOM.
    Mom: Oh, hi honey.  I accidentally deleted your text.  What did it say?
    Me: Oh, I want to go to the beach next weekend.
    Mom: That’s so funny, Dad and I were just talking about going!  Ok, we’re going into the store now.  Bye.
   Me: Uh, oh, um, ok bye.
A few minutes later, a text from Mom:
   Mom: LOL!! I just said to Dad we need to go to the beach next weekend and then you texted.
  Me (confused): I know you just told me that on the phone…. 
Typical.  Silly Mom.  
And finally, dinner for the week.  I’m trying to get into the habit of making a big meal on Sundays to last us most of the week (dinner for Drew and I, and lunches for me too).  We agree to disagree on the time of most meals (he likes to eat early, I like to eat late), so it’s easier if we have something prepared that we can eat when the moment is right.  Also, who wants to cook dinner after work every night?!  Only crazies.  It usually lasts us until at least Wednesday night, and then I cook up a tasty surprise Thursday, since I am out of work early that day.  
This week’s Big Sunday Meal:
Plus a few modifications, mostly because I thought I had certain items in my pantry, aaand turns out I didn’t…  I also added chicken breasts to my dish, since I am of the belief that no meal is a meal without meat.  You will find no vegetarians in this house. (Just kidding, I have plenty of vegetarian friends)
    Things I added:
      2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
      1 clove minced garlic
   I also used my own spice mixture (These are approximations; I tend to not measure):
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     3/4 tsp garlic salt (you can never have too much garlic)
     1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
     1/4 tsp chili powder 
Season chicken with garlic salt and pepper, then brown in olive oil on the stove, about 4 minutes.  Chicken will finish cooking in the oven.  

image
  
image

I added a little extra cheese on top of mine!  It was soooo yummy.  Will definitely make it again.

With dinner for the week in the fridge, the rest of the night is for HBO-watching.   My two favorite shows end tonight for the season (sad face)— TrueBlood and The Newsroom.  
Back to work tomorrow, plus I’m starting my new running schedule!  Yikes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment