Sep 25, 2012

Murphy HATES Baths

Today was bath day for my poor dog.  The downside to having a mostly-white dog is that the dirt really stands out.  Usually by the end of the month, he is more off-white than white.  For someone who likes things to be sparkly clean at all times, I find this unacceptable.  I would probably give him a bath once a week if it wouldn't dry his skin out (who are we kidding...probably once a day).  Luckily for Murphy, he's on a monthly bath schedule, because he HATES being wet.  Which always confuses me because he loves to swim! (More like splash...the dog was definitely not a born swimmer.)  Even rain is an enemy.  He thinks he is going to melt.

Since today was cleaning day anyway, and it was a bit nippy out this morning, I decided to throw him in the tub rather than hose him down outside (Don't worry, the tub got a thorough scrubbing afterwards).  Everything was going well until I decided to leave him in the tub to get my iPhone.  I couldn't resist snapping an embarrassing picture to post online.  Besides baths, Murphy also hates to "stay".  He'll do it begrudgingly while I am in sight, but as soon as I'm around the corner, forget it.  That steak I left on the table?  Gonzo.  The same is true for "staying" in the bath tub.  As soon as I got across the hall into my room, all the while telling him "STAY" in my most serious voice, I heard a giant splash and little puppy paws doing the slip 'n' slide across the tile in the bathroom.  Lesson of the day: Do not leave your dog unattended in the bath tub unless you want your bathroom to look like it was hit by a tsunami.


I so hate you right now, Mom.  Can't you see I'm melting?!?! 

Once the shampooing and rinsing portion of the bath was over and we moved on to the drying portion, Murphy decided he didn't hate me as much as he thought.  He LOVES the blowdryer.  Yes, I blow dry my dog.  He was shivering! It took me about an hour to mop up the giant watery mess, scrub the shower to a satisfactory level of sparkliness, and clean the other bathroom surfaces.  

And then it was off to the barn, where I discovered that my friend Lamont was still nursing his injury.  (I'd say more like milking it, but I'll let it slide.)  I rode this little mare, Ty, instead: 


Michelle: Ty, that's my finger.  Not a carrot.
Ty: No, I know it's a carrot.  


Ty: Seriously, give me the carrot. 
Michelle: IT'S MY FINGER.

For dinner tonight, I prepared another quinoa dish that was rather reminiscent of summer.  It's almost time to break out the fall soups and stews, though!  I am in love with quinoa, and this is the BEST quinoa recipe I have made or had so far!

  
There are no instructions on cooking the shrimp, so this is what I did:
  • 20-25 uncooked, deveined, and thawed shrimp
  • Cajun jerk seasoning
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil
  1. Preheat oven to broil.
  2. Place shrimp in a bowl and coat lightly with olive oil, approximately 1 tbsp.
  3. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and jerk seasoning (Just eyeball it, I didn't measure.  If you like it spicy, add more jerk.)
  4. Spread shrimp on a non-stick baking pan.  Each one should be laying flat on the pan.
  5. Place on highest oven rack and broil for 4-5 minutes, turning shrimp once after 2 minutes.
Add those puppies to the salad, and you're good to go!  I actually doubled the recipe, and there was enough leftover for dinner tomorrow night, plus lunch for me tomorrow.  I skipped the pomegranate because I find them annoying to deal with, but I'm sure it would have been delicious.  I was skeptical about the oranges, but trust me, they are worth it!  


NOM NOM



No comments:

Post a Comment