Sep 22, 2012

Home on the Range

It was pretty hard to follow-up last weekend in Myrtle Beach with a weekend in Alloway, but it was nice to relax at home with Murphles and BearFace.  We (all 3 of us) actually had quite a few adventures!

Saturday morning started off with our usual trip to BJ's since our fridge was starting to look pretty empty.  Our week of salads used up all of our veggies.  Then it was off to the barn for me.  I met up with Kim and we took her horse Chance and Lamont out for a trail ride.  



Ahh, nothing like the open trail!

It was a beautiful day for a trail ride, but Lamont can be slightly frustrating at times.  I think he might have ADHD.  He makes me look like I'm riding drunk.  His thought process goes something like this (or at least I imagine it does):

Michelle: Come on Lamont, let's pick up the pace a little!  We've moved about 6 feet in the last 10 minutes!

Lamont: Wait, where am I supposed to go again?  Oh yah, follow the trail.  Boy, am I getting tired!  I better slow down!  Hold on, I think we're lost.  I don't know where to go. HEY!  There's a steep drop coming up; let me just see if I can balance on the edge of it.  Hold on, hold on, tree branch in the way.  I better go wide.  OOOO grass.  I'm hungry.  Shoot.  Lost again.  I gotta slow down and pay attention.  

Michelle: PLEASE WALK FASTER.  AND IN A STRAIGHT LINE.   

Lamont:  Sorry, did you say something?  I thought I saw a squirrel.  YUM more grass! 

After our very slow trail ride was completed, I went home to make our last salad of the week for dinner, and then BearFace and I were off to the rodeo!!  Our previous attempt to make it to the rodeo was rained out, and of course there were some severe thunderstorms forecasted for Saturday night.  But we laugh in the face of weather!

We arrived at the rodeo around 7 pm, and it was scheduled to begin at 7:30.  As we sat in the bleachers waiting for the opening speech, we watched a very large, very black cloud roll slowly in, and checked the doppler radar on our phones every 30 seconds.  It was basically a race between the rodeo and the storm.  


A black cloud of doom

Fortunately, the cloud moved just slowly enough for us to see a solid hour of the rodeo before the rain started.  


Steer wrestling


Tie-down roping

UNfortunately, it did start raining before my favorite events, barrel racing and team roping, could take place.  We did plan ahead and brought rain jackets, and considered waiting out the rain.  Until we observed multiple lightning strikes heading our way.  And then the deluge began.  By the time we got back to the car we were drenched, even with the rain jackets!  That makes the 4th time I've been caught out in a thunderstorm this summer.  YOU CAN'T STOP ME WEATHER!!  Luckily we remembered to take my car instead of Drew's.  His windshield wipers are broken.  Kind of inconvenient, and also rather dangerous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment