Oct 9, 2012

The Proof is in the Pudding

Whenever I tell people that dear old RoomDog eats in the shower, I am met by expressions of shock, horror, and disbelief.  I suppose if someone told me that their roommate ate in the shower, I wouldn't believe them either.  Well, now I have proof.  There has been other evidence, but this I can share with you.


PROOF  

No, you are not imagining what you are seeing.  That is a granola bar wrapper.  On top of a soap bar.  In the shower.  1 point to RoomDog.

We are basically at a stalemate now.  Each team has won multiple small battles, but the outcome of the war has remained unclear.  UNTIL NOW!  RD made his final push to the front when he put a "clean" plate covered in mayonnaise in the dish rack.  I'm not sure why the mayo-plate was the last straw for me, but that just did it (Maybe because I hate mayonnaise?  It's so...white.  And creepy.)  This weekend I will win the war once and for all, and turn our passive-aggressive tactics into a full-on confrontation.  Not really.  But I do plan on having a roommate meeting.  Tune in next week for updates!

Today was yet another rainy, cloudy Tuesday of playing chicken with the weather.  It cleared up later in the morning, just in time for a trail ride!  Murphy and I met Kelly (the barn owner) around 11, and hit the trails with Chubbles and her new horse Sammy.  


Chubbles is ready to rock and roll!  Or eat some carrots. 


Murphy: Like I've told you before, I was born ready.

It was pretty chilly today, and Chubbles was apparently feeling pretty good with the weather change.  Normally he is quite lazy. Quite, quite lazy.  But not today.  Which is why I didn't see it coming.  During a trot around a soybean field, Chubbles decided he wanted to canter.  Which was fine with me, until he also decided to start bucking.  As I said, I didn't see it coming, and thus was completely unprepared to keep myself in the saddle.  In 2 seconds flat, I was on his neck, and then on the ground. Somehow I managed to hang on to his neck while falling, and swing myself around so I landed square on my feet facing him.  Rather acrobatic.  (Don't act like you're not impressed!)  Kelly didn't see it coming either, and continued cantering down the field, chatting away to me, until I yelled to her to come back.  She was quite surprised to see me standing there.  


Life lesson: Always get back on the horse! 
(Seriously, does this guy look like a bucker?!)

In a feat of incredible flexibility, I managed to clamber back on, and we continued on our merry way.  Chubbles attempted another buck while cantering farther down the trail, but this time I was prepared and stayed on.  I haven't been thrown off in a couple years, so I guess I was due for a fall!

Chores done, errands done, barn time done, exercise one crazy boxer, done.  On to dinner!  Drew and I have been craving some comfort food, so tonight I made:

Michelle's Secret Mac and Cheese Recipe 

I originally got this from a website a few years ago, but I've changed it so much it's basically my own version now.

1 box Medium Shells (I use whole wheat pasta)
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, sliced into 1-inch cubes
2 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
2 cups Half and Half (I used 2% milk instead...a little healthier)
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp dried parsley

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
  3. Melt 1/4 cup butter in saucepan over medium heat until sizzling.  Stir in flour and cook about 1 minute until creamy and smooth.  Stir in milk and cook for about 5 minutes until mixture thickens slightly.  
  4. Add cheddar and MJ cheese cubes and cook about 5 more minutes or until melted.  Stir in Romano cheese.
  5. Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter in microwave, about 10 seconds.  Stir in breadcrumbs and parsley.
  6. Pour cheese sauce over pasta.  Put mac and cheese in casserole dish, and top with breadcrumbs.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn oven to Broil for about 3 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.  (Don't walk away from the oven!  They brown quickly).
  8. DEVOUR.  
Serve with a side salad so you don't feel like your arteries are going to explode.  


We may or may not have consumed the calorie requirement of a small town.  For dinner.
And I'm not ashamed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment