Oct 21, 2012

Scream-o-ween

For some reason, people really love Halloween around here.  Our neighbors have had decorations up since October 1st, and the girls at work have been wearing Halloween scrub tops for weeks now.  I have to say, it never was one of my favorite holidays.  Of course I loved the candy as a kid, but my mom insisted on homemade costumes which were always very clever, but I did not appreciate her craftiness when I was younger.  Plus the fact that I am a wimp when it comes to being scared.  I couldn't even watch Scooby-Doo when I was little (Embarrassing, I know).  Anyway, this weekend we decided to participate in some Halloween fun!

Friday

Drew and I did our weekly food shopping Friday night, so we really didn't have too much of an exciting night.  Murphy, on the other hand, had quite the party.  While we were at work during the day, he decided it might be a good idea to watch a movie.  He needed the DVD remote to do this, but since he doesn't have thumbs, he got into a bit of a jam.  I mean, why don't you try turning the DVD player on with your mouth and see what happens.  Drew got home first and caught him, but I would have known he did something wrong anyway...he had his guilty look on!


I'm so, so sorry.  I don't even have words for how 
sorry I am.  Go ahead, punish me!  


Saturday

Drew's FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR!!!  Opening day of duck hunting season.  I swear he was like a 5 year old waiting for Santa to come.  He went out in the wee hours of the morning, while Murphy and I enjoyed the whole bed to ourselves and slept in!  I did some riding later in the morning, and then came home in the afternoon to get ready for our big night.

We had plans to meet up with Kim and her boyfriend, and a few other people from my work for dinner, a campfire, and a Haunted Hayride!  It was fun to socialize with other people this weekend (I can't remember the last time BearFace and I went out together!  He really is turning into a hermit.)  Pizza and appetizers were tasty, and then it was time for the screaming to begin.  I'm pretty sure I was the one who suggested the hayride to begin with, but as soon as we got in line I started to have second thoughts.  Not that I'm afraid of monsters, but I am a super jumpy person (which BearFace loves to take advantage of).  The hayride included a walk through a corn maze, a hayride through a soybean field, and then concluded with another walk through the woods.  I must say, haunted events are even creepier when you are in the middle of nowhere (Children of the Corn?)  You can be sure I did my fair share of screaming at every "monster" that jumped out at me!  But also a lot of laughing, and clinging to Drew for dear life.

My tasty appetizer:

White Pizza Dip

I made my own crusty dipping bread to accompany the cheesy dip (the same bread I made for my Mushroom Barley Soup, but I used a French baguette this time).


SO DARN TASTY!


Sunday

Some more trail riding with Murphy, some deer baiting for Drew, and just general taking care of business.  A.K.A., laundry, more grocery shopping, chores, etc.  Really thrilling stuff.

For my Big Sunday Dinner I made:

Parmesan Chicken Bake (sorry, no picture of this one)

I used 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt and completely eliminated the mayo for a healthier version.  Plus the stuff seriously creeps me out.

I also added about 1 tsp each of basil, oregano, and parsley to the mixture for a little more flavor and color.


It was rather a picture-less weekend, but I do have this hilarious video of my adorable dog, who was exhausted one night last week after a long day at the barn.  Please excuse the giggling in the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment