Oct 18, 2012

Spare Room

So RoomDog did return home on Sunday evening.  This was unfortunate because I had already begun planning what I would do with his room if he were not to return.  These are the options I came up with:

  • Kitten Hideout: Get a tiny kitten for Murphy.  Murphy loves kittens, but sometimes they don't love Murphy.  
  • Puppy Playroom: Get a tiny puppy for Murphy.  He needs a mini me.  And then maybe he'll unglue himself from my hip.
  • Guest Room: Get a futon or extra bed for guests (not sure who would come visit me out here, anyway...)  
  • Exercise Room: Get a treadmill and set up an exercise room for winter.  And maybe throw Murphy on the treadmill with a treat just out of reach!
  • Horse Haven: Invite Chubbles to come live in my house (Yes, a horse would be a more preferable roommate.) 
Since RD's presence is preventing me from making any of these things happen, and since 3 of them involve furry creatures, my dislike for him has only grown since he came back.  


Murphy and his mini-me, Millie, have a playdate in West Hartford

Tonight I made a tasty and quick crockpot dinner.  I always feel like this is cheating, since there is basically no work involved, but I didn't really have anything planned so I threw this together last minute.  


**Disclaimer**: The recipe says that you can cook 4-6 frozen chicken breasts on high for 2-3 hours.  FALSE!  Unless they used a super-high-heat crockpot, there's no way.  I tried it with mine, and after 2 and 1/2 hours the chicken was still mostly raw.  By that point it was almost dinner time, so I threw the chicken and sauce in a glass baking dish and popped it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  I was worried that it would dry out, but it came out perfectly tender and very juicy.  I would suggest either using defrosted chicken, which should be done after 2-3 hours, or plan on about 4-5 hours for frozen chicken.  

I originally planned to serve this dinner on top of brown rice, but someone was busy making a mess in the kitchen, so I skipped the rice-cooking and served it over a salad instead.  It actually worked out pretty well!  The sauce makes a nice dressing for the salad.   


Love having dinner ready when I get home! (Mostly ready, anyway.)


No comments:

Post a Comment