Oct 14, 2012

Peace Treaty...Or Not

RoomDog has done it.  He has out-maneuvered my tactical maneuver.  He must have planted some enemy spies behind our lines, because he somehow got wind of my plans to blindside him with a roommate meeting.  His plan?  Retreat!

A text from BearFace on Friday:  XXX is gone for the night!
Michelle: YESSS! Where could he possibly be going?
BearFace: Not sure.  Don't care.

Of course I was naturally curious where our roommate, who essentially never leaves his room, could be going, since he lives 7 hours away and has zero friends around here.  But my boyfriend is not one to ask questions.  I was even more curious when he failed to return last night, and still has not shown his face as of 6 pm today (Sunday).  My guesses are A) drove 7 hours back to NH for the weekend, which would be crazy and unlikely, B) lost somewhere in the cornfields, or C) found somewhere else to live (I'm really rooting for C).  Whichever it is, he has evaded the roommate meeting for another few days.

In other news, our "lazy weekend on the couch" turned out to be anything but, per usual.

BearFace is getting geared up for duck hunting season, which opens next weekend.  And which means we can't drive 2 feet down the road without him getting excited about anything flying.  This enthusiasm on his part either leads to me A) rolling my eyes sarcastically (Sorry, I just can't get excited about a darn Canada Goose), or B) my heart stopping when he screams"WOOD DUCK" while I am driving.

He spent the weekend scouting for ducks, camouflaging his kayak, and getting some of the necessary supplies for the BIG DAY!

This left me plenty of time for riding, and it was a beautiful weekend for it.  Kim and I did some ringwork on Saturday, and hit the trails on Sunday with Kelly and Murphy.


Decided to go Western today.  Chubbles looks cuter with a Western saddle.

I was hoping for a ride minus any bucking, but was not that lucky.  Chubbles immediately turned into a bucking bronco as soon as we started cantering after Sammy.  And then didn't stop until we walked again farther down the field. I was prepared this time, so I stayed on (that's right, I'm pretty badass) but it did not feel particularly pleasant.  It occurred to me that perhaps Chubbles was having a hissy fit, and  would prefer to be the leader, so the next time we cantered I led the way, and there was no bucking!  Apparently he is quite competitive, which I should have guessed from the fact that he does not get along with any other horses except for his mini horse friend Cashew, who is about the size of my dog.


Kim and Chance enjoyed watching the rodeo.

Other highlights of the weekend:

Saturday Night Date 

At Bull on the 19th, a local restaurant with a silly name and tasty food.  We shared an order of truffle fries, and each ordered a burger for dinner.  Normally I don't eat beef, but I was craving it this weekend.  I only made it through about 3/4 of my burger.  Our waitress, who was old enough to be my grandmother, harshly judged me for this.  Especially when I ordered dessert after.  


Waitress: Have you had our truffle fries before?
Me: No, but I've heard they're good.
Waitress: I hate them.  Can't stand the smell.  Enjoy!


             Pig and Bull Burger: Angus sirloin burger topped with cheddar cheese 
and pulled BBQ pork.  Talk about calories...

Judgmental waitstaff aside, everything was delicious, including the Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse I had for dessert.  Drew had to roll me back to the car, but I definitely left satisfied.  So, if you're ever in Salem County, you know where to eat.  Don't take this advice lightly...it took us 3 months to find this place.

Big Sunday Night Dinner

Mushroom-Barley Soup (It's finally cold enough to break out my cozy soup recipes!)
  
I originally made this recipe from a William-Sonoma cookbook, but I obviously can't find it soooo I had to improvise.

1 pound lean ground turkey 
8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped 
2 cups sliced white mushrooms
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup pearl barley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic (I use jarred pre-chopped garlic...much easier!)
Garlic salt
Parsley
Shredded cheese (your favorite kind)
Crusty bread for dipping

  1. Add chicken stock, carrots, barley, thyme, and salt to a large pot and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
  2. While chicken stock is coming to a boil, brown turkey meat over medium heat in another pan, about 4 minutes. Add to chicken stock (meat will finish cooking here).
  3. Drain fat from pan, then heat 1 tbsp olive oil.  Saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms about 2 minutes or until onions are translucent.  Add to chicken stock.
  4. Continue to simmer chicken stock for the total of 40 minutes, or until barley is tender.   
  5. Shred your favorite cheese to top your bowl, and make crusty bread for dipping! 
For the dipping bread:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Slice your favorite crusty bread (I used Italian), place on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes (it should be slightly crusty on the outside but soft in the middle).
  3. Flip slices, then bake for about 3 minutes.
  4. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt (what else?) and parsley.
  5. Turn oven to broil until bread is golden brown (I know I always say this, but don't walk away from the oven!  I've burned my fair share of bread because I wasn't paying attention.  I know, it's blasphemy). 

Crunchy, cheesy, and garlicky.  What more could you ask for?


I love making soup because it is so easy...everything goes in the same pot, and you can put basically anything you want in it!  I have also made this recipe with beef stock and ground beef instead of the chicken and turkey, and it is equally delicious that way.  

And finally, Big Sunday News!!

Drew's brother Jim proposed to his girlfriend, Brooke!  Congratulations, you two!  Wishing you both the best!!

So to recap, this weekend included:
  • A missing RoomDog (How long should we wait before posting Lost Dog signs?)
  • Lots of our favorite fall activities (hunting and riding)
  • A thoroughly exhausted pup 
  • Several tasty meals, and too many calories to count
  • A FUTURE WEDDING!  
Not a whole lot of couch time, but it was great nonetheless.


I did so much running today Mom.  Did you see me?  I was so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment