Oct 7, 2012

Autumn Cometh

It's true.  It's that season.  My favorite season of the year!  The crisp, fresh air, changing leaves, and fall yummies (apple cider, pumpkin desserts, and comforting soups and stews!).  I really didn't expect to be missing the whole season by being 4 hours south of Connecticut, but as the girls at work informed me, the leaves pretty much just turn brown and fall off the trees here in Alloway.  So so sad!  Well, I had to see at least one yellow or orange or red tree this fall, so Drew and I decided a trip to Connecticut was in order to cure us of our autumnal blues.

Friday

We got home late Friday night, after almost getting into a car accident on I-95.  Two SUV's in front of us smashed into each other, totaling one car and damaging the other.  Luckily no one was injured, and Drew is an excellent defensive driver and managed to steer us clear of the wreck (by about a foot!).  This was even luckier because we were bringing my parent's car back to Connecticut aaand that would not have been a fun phone call!

After a short chat with my parents and a rousing game of chase between Murphy and Ruby, I headed to bed.  But not before Murphy drank about a gallon of water, and then proceeded to wake me up 3 times during the night.  I thought he was just being annoying, so I waved him away.  False.  He had to pee.  Really, really bad.  I finally got up to let him out around 6:30, and he peed for about 5 minutes straight.  (I'm not exaggerating.  Rachel, Drew, and my parents can all attest to his marathon pee sessions.)  An hour later, after eating his breakfast, he peed for another 3 minutes.  And that was when I found the wet spot on the carpet.  OOPS!  I guess he that's what he was trying to tell me...

Saturday

The day started off with an early breakfast in West Hartford with MagSauce to wish her good luck on her new job in Boston!  It was a bittersweet breakfast...very happy for her and her new adventures, but I will certainly miss seeing her in Connecticut. (A trip to Boston will be in order in the near future, I think!)  

When I got home, my mom greeted me in the yard and explained that my special, special dog had been chasing the shadows of falling leaves for over an hour.  While Ruby looked on, simply bewildered.


It was a beautiful Fall day, best spent outdoors, so I convinced my parents to take the pups for a hike up Sleeping Giant (More like a leisurely stroll up the Tower Path.  They are not really the hiking type.)



View from the castle

There were a ton of people hiking there, which was a bit of an issue on the way down.  Ruby is not a huge fan of other dogs (besides her friend Murphy).  I think she's just not really sure what to do with them.  But either way, she wants to eat them.  At least, she looks like she wants to eat them.  Her intentions are unknown, since we haven't given her the chance to get close enough to actually eat one.  There was some lunging, some yelling, a bark or two, and some confusion from Murphy (who wondered why Ruby would want to do anything but play with other dogs.  Except Huskies because he thinks they are the devil.)  We all made it back down the mountain with our limbs intact, and no one suing us.  Credit to my parents, who are not natural animal whisperers but are doing an excellent job with Ruby!


Ruby takes a break from being a vicious dog-eater to check out an interesting scent with Murphy.

Later that evening, I headed to Simsbury to see my long-lost friend Sarah Towle!  We often go through cycles of seeing each other weekly, and then falling out of touch for up to 6 months, but we somehow always manage to bring it back together!  We had plans to meet some Drill Team friends in Hartford for our friend Megan's birthday.  


A mini Drill Team reunion

We went to Up or On the Rocks, which has an 18+ night, since Megan's sister is only 19.  Can you say SKETCHY!  Some of the dresses the girls were wearing would barely fit my pinky finger.  I saw things I never wanted to see.  (As in, body parts. Ew.)  And the guys were super creepy.  Let me put it this way, if you are an 18 year old girl, or 40 year old single man, this is the place for you!  It was great to see everyone, though, and we certainly had a good time laughing at the ridiculously-dressed people there.  

Sarah and I headed back to her apartment around 1 am, where I crashed on the couch and spent the night cuddling with this guy:


Shadow: You look like you had a long day, Michelle.  Let me massage your feet with my paws until you fall asleep.
Michelle: Why thank you, Shadow!  If only my boyfriend would do the same...


Sunday 

Sarah and I started out with breakfast at Dave's Place in Granby.  Probably some of the best homefries I've ever eaten!  After that I was off to Simsbury High School to meet my parents, aunt and uncle, and my grandfather to watch my cousin Dan play football.  He is 13, but if any of those kids tried to tackle me, I would still run for my life.  Some impressive football playing.

Always sad to leave, Drew and I headed back to New Jersey Sunday afternoon and made it back around dinner time.  Another busy but great weekend!  Plans for next weekend: a date with BearFace, my couch, TV, and maybe some Chinese food.  

I leave you with one more video...a throwback from the days when Sarah, Shadow, Murphy and I lived together!


No comments:

Post a Comment