Oct 2, 2012

Weekend in the Big Apple

By this point I've found that the key to surviving Alloway is to do exciting things on the weekend.  This weekend: a trip to NYC to visit the little bro, who I hadn't seen since the beginning of August.  Not that this is long for us, I think we went a few years in middle school/high school without speaking. But we're past that now!

Since late nights out are not really BearFace's thing (especially while in the police academy), he opted to stay home and have some male bonding time with Murphy.  He was nice enough to drop me off at the train station in Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon.  He was even nicer to come in with me and help me find my train.  Apparently it's not just airports that I am afraid of.  Any form of travel=anxiety.  (Might be time for some Xanax for travel! Just kidding...)

I arrived at Penn Station in NY around 5pm, where Joe met me and we walked back to his apartment. It was a good thing he met me, because there was no way I was going to figure out how to get there on my own.

We spent a little while hanging out at his new apartment, then headed out to dinner at Cinema Cafe.  They actually play movies from a projector on the back wall of the restaurant.  There is nowhere NEAR that cool in Alloway!  We were both feeling pretty seafoody, so we split an appetizer of fish tacos, and then ordered grilled fish for dinner.  I got the grilled Mahi Mahi, and Joe got the Ahi Tuna (Surprise, surprise.)  



Edamame house salad, sweet corn-hominy grits, and Mahi Mahi grilled with olive oil, lemon, and fresh herbs

I LOVE fish, and Drew won't let me cook it, sooo I was super pleased with this meal.  This was my first time trying Mahi Mahi, and the fish was cooked perfectly.

After we ate, we headed across the street to Pie Face for dessert.  What is Pie Face, you might ask?  Let me ask you this.  Do you like pie?  Do you like cupcakes?  If yes, then the thought of Pie Face should make you drool.  They make pies the size of cupcakes.  What's not to like?  NOM NOM NOM.  I chose a pear ricotta pie and an apple crumb pie.  So. Stinking. Good.   


Even the pies are happy to be eaten.  

We headed back to Joe's apartment to digest a little, and then headed out to the Trump Soho to meet up with Caitlin and Mike.  They were spending the weekend in NY at the hotel, courtesy of Mike's parents.  It was great to see some Connecticut friends!  Joe and I marveled at the ridiculously nice hotel room...complete with a bathroom TV, water closet phone, and video-chatting capabilities with the front desk.  (Of course, a bag of microwave popcorn from the minibar cost $9, but who's counting?) 

From there, we headed to Red Lion a few blocks away.  We had a blast rocking out to the live bands that played there all night.  The night was completed when our city-dwelling friend Mad Dawg came out to meet us!  I hadn't seen this crazy lady since New Year's Eve, so it really made the trip!  


A merry bunch.


 The infamous Mad Dawg makes an appearance! 
                                          
Caitlin, Mike, Joe and I decided it was pizza time around 2 am, and we left on an intense pizza-finding mission.  


Pizza must be found.

Unfortunately, the particular pizza place we were hunting was closed.  Apparently, the phrase "the city that never sleeps" does not apply to all pizza makers.  I suppose they need to rest up to make the most delicious slices possible.  Joe and I cabbed it back to his apartment at that point, but not before making a quick stop at the corner pizzeria.  (I mean, we couldn't go home empty-handed.)


Sweet, sweet BBQ chicken pizza success.  

Sunday morning was a bit slow to start after our big adventure (well, it was a big adventure for me at least) the night before, but we pulled it together for plans with Joe's girlfriend Chrissy, who I had not yet met.  We hopped on the subway and met up with her at Bistro Ten 18 for a spot of brunch!  Apparently brunch is the thing to do in the city.  (I freakin' love brunch.  I wish every meal was brunch.)  

$20 for a dish off the brunch menu, plus your choice of unlimited mimosas or bloody mary's.  NOT BAD!  I had the eggs benedict, and after some consideration, decided to have one mimosa.  Just one.  Well, that was a failure.  The waiter kept filling up my glass before I even finished, without even asking.  Sooo I might have had 3.  Or maybe 4.  I think I lost count after 4.  (I could get used to this whole brunch thing...)  Aside from the food/drinks, I had an awesome time chatting with Chrissy.  Hopefully she and Joe will be able to come visit BearFace and I! 


Mimosa # 3.  (I think?)

After a brief stroll around Central Park, Joe and I took the subway back to Penn Station so I could catch my 3:13 train, which was supposed to get in to Philly at 4:38.  Which actually got in to Philly at 6:00.  Why would a 3:13 train to Philly be an hour and twenty minutes late?  Well, that is because it got stuck about 30 minutes outside of Penn Station.  Just stopped dead.  In the middle of the rail.  Instant reactions of everyone on the train: WE ARE GOING TO DIE.  It always amazes me how easily people panic.  Not that I was the picture of calm myself, but I certainly wasn't jumping to assumptions of death!  The announcer finally informed us that the power on the line had died, so we were pretty much just sitting ducks.

That took about 30 minutes for them to figure out.  Then, another 20 minutes went by while they decided to transfer us to another train, which had to be meticulously lined up with our train so they could put down a bridge.  The conductor then made this announcement, "It is very important that you do not touch both trains at the same time, or you will most likely be electrocuted."  Ok, now would be an appropriate time to panic.      

Luckily, all passengers made it onto the other train without being electrocuted (at least I think they did...)  The transfer took approximately 30 minutes, thereby resulting in an arrival in Philadelphia 1:20 minutes late.  And lots of frustrated texts to Drew and Joe from me.  But frustration aside, it was an excellent weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment