Sep 11, 2012

My Dog is Fat

Ok, not really.  And believe me, I would know.  I see some fat animals in my line of work.  (First place goes to the 27.1 pound cat, who had to roll himself to the food bowl every day.  Second place goes to the 28 pound Miniature Pinscher, who closely resembled an engorged tick.) So Murphy is not fat.  But he's getting a bit pudgy.  It's really not his fault; the poor guy is back on house arrest after playing too hard in Connecticut last weekend.  For a dog that normally hikes with me, goes running with me, AND goes to the barn with me, house arrest is absolute torture.  Plus I won't let him snuggle on the bed with me at night because he kept hurting himself jumping down.  He had a hissy fit the other night and refused to come in the bedroom while I was watching TV.  

Combine all that with the diet he's on due to his inability to exercise (diet is a strong word; I only cut him back 1/4 of a cup/day), he pretty much hates me right now.  I was amazed at his ability to discern that I was skimping him on about 8 whole kibbles.  The first day, he paced back and forth from his bowl to the food bin at least 3 times before collapsing in an exasperated heap.  And he's been following me around with a worried look on his face each night, starting around 5 pm.  I think he is concerned that I am going to cut out a meal altogether.  I finally had to break down last night and let him on the bed to cheer him up.  But of course I didn't want him to hurt himself, so I lifted him up onto the bed.  Yup, I did.  You could call me a crazy dog lady.


 Being mad at Mom is so tiring.


Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal...

Today he got an extra special treat and got to go for a walk at the old golf course that's down the street from our house (on-leash of course, to prevent leg-reinjuring.  And shadow-chasing.)  I couldn't help it; he guilt-tripped me with one too many pathetic whimpers.    


Also it was incredibly gorgeous out today!

The tricky thing about hiking around here right now is hunting season!  Deer season opened last weekend, and the golf course is a prime spot for deer hunters, or so I have been told by the locals.  Especially because one side of the course borders the Obissasqout BowHunter's Club.  Not that Murphy looks particularly like a deer, but you can never be too careful.  He has been known to sport antlers on occasion.  BearFace suggested I wear some reflective orange gear.  He left me an orange hat and vest.  I went with the hat; the vest smelled like buck scent. (Didn't want to accidentally attract any does!)  As an extra precaution, I blasted music out of my iPhone while walking so any hunter would hear me coming, and hopefully decide to dance with me instead of shooting at me.  I hope you have this image in your head, because I looked like a crazy.  Blaring music in the middle of the wilderness with my shadow-chasing dog on a Tuesday afternoon, wearing a seizure-worthy orange hat which did not fit my head.  (I have yet to find a hat that fits me in the 24 years I have been alive.) Crazy.  

Luckily, there were no hunters in the area at the time, or they were deterred by my obnoxious attire.  Either way, we made it home alive.  Thank goodness, because I had to cook this delicious dinner:


This recipe uses Greek yogurt and olive oil instead of heavy cream and butter.  Much healthier, and it was just as tasty.  

The recipe calls for cooked chicken but fails to mention how to cook it, so this is what I did:
  • Heat olive oil in pan
  • Slice 2 chicken breasts in half 
  • Season each side with garlic salt, pepper, and oregano 
  • Cook chicken approximately 5 minutes on each side
  • Cut into bite-sized pieces before adding to alfredo
I also used frozen broccoli, which I defrosted before adding to the sauce/pasta mixture.  I considered popping it in the oven to roast for a few minutes, but BearFace's grumbling stomach was quickly turning him into an actual bear.

If you want to roast the broccoli:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Spread broccoli on a baking pan 
  • Drizzle with olive oil, garlic salt (love me some garlic salt!), and pepper
  • Roast for about 15 minutes, or until crispy **Do not walk away from the oven!**
Best part of the day...a video chat with my Buddy in Lexington (Jenny)!  Her life makes me jealous.  She plays with horses all day.  Also I kind of miss her and our adventures at UConn, often involving Taylor Swift sing-alongs and llamas.  If only teleportation were possible so we could visit each other weekly!  

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/03/15-greatest-animal-photobombs-of-all-time/
This llama is photo-bombing those unsuspecting people.

Speaking of teleportation and nostalgia, I'm off to Myrtle Beach on Thursday to meet up with some other UConn ladies!  Sadly, some of our group will be missing but a good time shall be had!  If I can get over my fear of airports.  I have no issue with the actual flying, it's just the airport itself scares the crap out of me.  Go figure.  (And hopefully BearFace will remember to feed Murphy while I'm gone, although I don't think Murphy would let him forget!)

No comments:

Post a Comment