Jan 24, 2013

BAD. DOG.

We all know who I'm talking about.  That super cute, mushy-faced, speckled little guy named Murphy. Or Murphles.  Or Murphleson.  Whatever name you call him by, it doesn't change the fact that he is a BAD DOG.  Not all the time, not even most of the time.  Just occasionally.  Occasionally he forgets to be a good dog and goes to the dark side.

Take this week, for example.  It all started Tuesday afternoon, when I decided it was time for Murphy's monthly bath.  He was getting a bit stinky and looking a bit more ivory than white, so I knew it was time.  As soon as I called him to the bathroom, he figured out what I was up to!  As you may recall, Murphy HATES bath time.  I was not giving up, so I scooped him up and threw him in the tub for a quick bath, after which he was thoroughly blow-dried.  Well, the emotional fellow spent the rest of the night sulking and looking hurt, and even refused his nighttime snuggle!

By the next morning, he was his usual wiggling self, and I assumed all was forgotten.  False.  Very false.  My friend Kim came to the house on Wednesday afternoon to walk Murphy while I was at work, as usual.  Around 1:00, she called me at work.  She informed me that someone was feeling rather mischievous and had gotten into the garbage!!  She sounded a bit panicky, but I wasn't too worried.  I had her put him in his crate after their walk, and I headed home at lunch to clean up the mess.  I figured it would just take a few minutes to pick up the trash, put it back in the garbage can, and be on my way.  Again, FALSE!  I was greeted by this lovely sight as soon as I opened the door:


I don't know what happened.  The wind must have
knocked it over.  BUT MAYBE IT WOULDN'T HAVE
BEEN SO WINDY IF YOU DIDN'T GIVE ME A BATH.

Let me just say, this picture does not do any justice to the scene of the crime!  Not only did he knock the trash over, he pulled the bag out, ripped it open, and pulled out every single piece of trash in the bag.  Which he then also ripped apart.  The damage covered the entire kitchen floor, all the way around the kitchen table and into the living room, all the way in front of the TV.  The worst part was, I had emptied the contents of my vacuum cleaner into the trash the day before, and Murphy certainly did not hold back while he was spreading it gleefully around the kitchen. As far as I can tell, he consumed a handful of Girl Scout cookies, some paper and a few vegetables.  BearFace's used Keurig cups were also a delight.  Luckily he has a rather iron stomach, and does not seem to be fazed by this excursion.  Except for emotionally.  He still can't look me in the eye!  I guess next time he needs a bath, I'll be sure to hide the trash.  He certainly is a loveable and loving dog, but spiteful at that!

In an effort to cheer Murphy up, I took him on a chilly winter walk this afternoon.  We both layered up and headed to the golf course near our house.  It was certainly frigid, but nice to get some fresh air!  (Personally I think he needs some doggie booties, but I think both BearFace and Murphles would leave me if I purchased some!)


Hold on.  I think I smell some trash over there...


Beautiful lighting this afternoon!

I intended on sharing a delicious swordfish recipe tonight, but unfortunately my delicious swordfish recipe did not go as planned.  (Every chef has to have a failure now and again, right?)  It started out well...I found a recipe for Swordfish with Lemon Sauce, and decided to give it a go.  That's basically where things started going downhill.  Turns out I only had about 1/4 of the necessary lemon juice that the recipe called for, but decided to go ahead with it anyway.  I also figured my cast iron grill pan would work in place of outdoor grilling in the 20 degree weather.  Neither of these decisions were good ones.  I ended up with fairly tasteless swordfish, a house that smells horrible, and an oil-splattered kitchen.  Anyway, I still think the recipe looks good, so I'll have to give it a try some other time!   

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I can't even take his sad little face behind the garbage. Sonny has done the same thing and I always get so mad but I have to remind myself of what a good dog he is most of the time. So is Murphy :)I'd like to see those doogie booties too. Haha!

    ReplyDelete