Jan 13, 2013

A Shocking Adventure

This weekend turned out to be much more active than last weekend!  Everyone in our house is finally healthy, and I was quite ready to get off the couch and back to my packing my days with more things than I have time for.  It's one of my talents.

Friday

We didn't waste any time waiting for the weekend to start, and headed out on Friday night to meet up with one of BearFace's police academy friends and his girlfriend for a double dinner date.  We met them at their house, then settled on Chickie's and Pete's, a nearby sports bar.  We left it up to Mike and Nicole to pick a restaurant, since our only option within 15 minutes of our house is Friendly's...pretty much anywhere would have been exciting for us.  The highlight of the meal were the crab fries...perfectly cripsy golden french fries seasoned with Old Bay, served with a side of Chickie's and Pete's signature CHEESE SAUCE.  Need I say more?  I ordered a Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak for dinner and it hit the spot (Still kind of confused on the sandwich situation down here...how can you call it a cheesesteak if there is no steak on it??)

Saturday

Saturday started off with a barn trip for me and Murphy.  I was quite happy to see Chubbles after another week away from the barn!  Unfortunately the ring and paddocks were pretty sloppy from Friday's rain, so it was a bit of a messy ride.  Murphy thoroughly enjoyed splashing around and even conned another boarder into giving him some horse treats.  He must have convinced her that he was actually a miniature pony.

When I got back from the barn, Drew and I decided to have a "dinner and a movie" date night, and drove over to Vineland.  We planned on grabbing a quick dinner at Fat Jack's BBQ before the movie, but apparently no one liked this restaurant as it had recently gone out of business.  We ate at Appleby's instead because it was close...disappointing at best.  You could say the same about Promised Land.  I had high hopes for this movie, but turned out to be disappointed (At least the Mike and Ike's I snacked on during the movie were not disappointing!)  

Sunday

A lazy and rather hazy morning ended in another trip to the barn to ride with Kim.  Unfortunately her horse Chance was a little sore, so she decided to work with Cashew, Kelly's miniature stallion.  Murphy thought this was the best idea EVER.  Finally, a horse his size that he could play with!  I was not super thrilled about this, since Cashew has been known to kick at Murphy in his paddock.  Of course I was on Chubbles, so there was only so much I could do.  Yell as I did, I could not keep Murphy from chasing Cashew and actually sticking his nose under his tail!  Luckily Cashew behaved himself and Murphy left the barn without having his head bashed in.


Normal-sized horses are quite fascinated by tiny stallions!
The tiny stallion does NOT like mud.

Though he escaped Cashew's hooves, Murph did have a bit of a run-in with the electric fence.  Apparently he was a little too enthralled by Cashew to pay attention to where he was going, and got too close!  I suddenly heard a yelp, and saw a streak of white flash by.  The poor guy looked quite shocked and upset for all of three minutes until he forgot about it, and was off exploring like nothing ever happened. 

Riding time over, we spent the rest of the day doing some cleaning and grocery shopping, so I could whip up something yummy for dinner:


I was drawn in by the recipe's use of cilantro, lime, and avocado (some of my favorite flavors!), and it turned out to be quite tasty.  If you prefer chicken breasts, you could easily substitute 4 breasts for the 6 thighs used in the recipe (If I make this again, I plan to use breasts instead).  We added a dollop of sour cream on top, and served with an arrepa on the side!  What is an arrepa, you might ask?  A Colombian tortilla, essentially (You can find these in the refrigerated dairy section of some grocery stores).  BearFace and I became addicted to arrepas during our trip to Colombia a few years ago (We actually own an arrepa toaster.  No joke).  They are delicious toasted with a bit of butter and salt on top, work very well for dipping in soup, too!  


I may have doubled the amount of cilantro that was called for...
    

One more thing, my dear father kindly reminded me that I failed to mention his birthday in my post last Tuesday.  I blame it on an overdose of cold medicine.  So HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD.  With that said, I hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment