Jan 22, 2013

Worst Girlfriend Ever Award

Another relaxing weekend of riding and hanging out with the boys, both four-legged and two-legged.  The sun finally showed its face after a dreary, rainy week, and I was anxious to get out in the sunshine and breathe some fresh air.  Especially because it was so warm out...52 on Sunday!


Chubbles looks like a giant next to his friend Chance!

Other than some good-weather riding this weekend, Sunday marked the three-year anniversary of when BearFace and I started dating.  Ah, that fateful, fateful day.  We started out the morning with some anniversary pancakes at Cracker Barrel (who doesn't love Cracker Barrel?!), where we stuffed our faces and reminisced about the old days when we actually liked each other (just kidding, I still like him.  Most days).  Puppy-dog-love days in the past, I definitely prefer where we are now (aka, I can wear sweatpants 24-7).  

My plans for our anniversary were to cook a nice dinner, make a delicious surprise dessert the day before, and get a nice card.  Only problem was, I didn't know that our anniversary was on Sunday!  Before you convict me as the worst girlfriend in the world, let me explain.  Last week, I looked at my calendar to determine what day of the week the 20th was going to fall on.  Obviously I observed that it was on Sunday, but some time between looking at the calendar and this Sunday, my brain decided to play a trick on me and convince me that the 20th was on Wednesday (really the 23rd).  So, I had nothing prepared when I finally realized halfway through our pancake breakfast that it was actually an anniversary pancake breakfast.  BearFace was quite understanding, even though he was the one who remembered!

We ended up going to Fort Mott once I got back from riding, where we did some hiking and Murphy tried to keep himself under control while the wind threatened to blow us over (The little guy basically lost his marbles over all the shadows that were blowing around the park).  Hiking done, we stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up a few things...without a list.  BAD IDEA.  We finally settled on Michelle's Secret Mac and Cheese for dinner, and Oreo's for dessert (what can I say, we're simple folk), and spent the rest of the night relaxing on the couch after dinner

As for today, the warm Sunday weather was a distant memory.  We had a dusting of snow last night which ushered in the frigid temps.  It didn't get above 22 degrees today, although I hear there were 0 degree temps predicted for CT this week (For once, I'd rather stay in NJ!)  After a thorough cleaning of the house this morning, Murphy and I bundled up and headed to the barn to make sure Chubbles was keeping warm.  I hopped on bareback right on top of Chubbles's blanket for a short snowy trail ride in the woods, and although it was bitter cold, it was perfect.  It finally feels like winter, and I have definitely missed having snow on the ground, since we haven't really seen any in NJ so far.  


There's no better "seat warmer" than your horse's 
back on a frigid day.


Chubbles and I spotted a rare, frolicking snow
 bunny on the trail today.  Oddly, he was wearing a coat. 

When I finally defrosted, it was time to whip something up for dinner.  BearFace and I are having another salad week, and we decided to try something new.  

Pan-Seared Tofu, Apple, and Pear Spinach Salad 

(Please don't worry, we are not and will not be going vegetarian any time soon!)

1 container firm Tofu
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper
1/4 apple, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 pear, cut into bite-sized pieces
Fresh baby spinach
Feta cheese
Whole lightly salted almonds
  1. Remove tofu from package and slice crosswise into 8 thin slices.  Place on several paper towels, top with several more paper towels, and then place a heavy pan on top.  Let sit for 30 minutes.
  2. Season tofu with garlic powder, pepper, and salt. 
  3. Saute over medium heat about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.  
  4. Cut into bite-sized pieces, then combine tofu and rest of ingredients in a salad bowl.
We used balsamic vinaigrette on top, and the whole combination was delicious!  This is the first time I have made tofu at home, and I really enjoy the texture of it.  It doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, but when seasoned correctly it is delightful.  (Just for the record, BearFace was actually the one who requested the tofu.  Just because he's a bear doesn't mean he only eats meat).



A little sweet, a little salty, and a bit of crunch.  Sounds 
like a good combo to me!

I hope everyone in New England stays warm this week!  It's going to be a cold one.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment