Feb 23, 2013

Cheese-aholics Anonymous

My name is Michelle, and I have a cheese addiction.

I finally stepped up and admitted that I have a problem.  A cheese problem, or addiction if you will.  I'm sure it has been evident in all of the food pictures I post, in which the dish is completely obscured by the mountain of cheese topping it.  Besides the cholesterol that it adds to my diet, there is another reason I am beginning to see this as a problem. Something in my diet just isn't working for me...I had some testing done last year, and found out that I have severe acid reflux.  I started taking Prilosec every day, but something is still a bit off.  I end up with a lot of abdominal pain and cramping that sometimes lingers for weeks.  I decided that an elimination diet is the only way to solve the puzzle.  And first on my list?  Cheese.  Well, dairy.  That's right, I'm going dairy-free for one whole month to see if it makes any difference.  And I'm pretty sad about it!  Over the next month, I'll be exploring different dairy-free recipes, and coming up with some dairy substitutes to my favorite dishes.

Now that I've admitted to my addiction, on to more exciting things!  BearFace and I had our first visitor this week...one of my old UConn horse pals, Sarah Towle, spent the night with us on Tuesday.  She is a teacher and was able to get away for the night while on her February break.  We spent Tuesday afternoon pampering ourselves with a mani/pedi while BearFace was at work, and then had this delicious dinner waiting for him when he got home:

Stir-Fried Noodles with Tofu, Scallions, and Peanuts

Sarah and I actually doubled this recipe, and it was the perfect amount for the 3 of us, with a little leftover for lunch the next day.  Which was a plus because it was delicious!  Sadly I did not take a picture, but believe me, it looked as good as it tasted.  I happened to have some tofu in the fridge, so we only had to pick up a few ingredients before throwing everything in the wok, and it was ready in a snap.  I also added in some kale because I have a ginormous amount of it in our fridge.

Sarah and I started Wednesday morning out at the our local diner.  On top of their ridculously awesome pancakes, they also have a ridiculously awesome weekday breakfast special: Buy 1 breakfast, get 1 free.  Can't argue with that...  We shared the blueberry pancakes and my personal favorites, the Chunky Monkey PB pancakes (buttermilk pancakes stuffed with bananas, chocolate and pb chips).

After rolling ourselves back to my house and digesting a bit,  we took Murphles out for a hike.  It turned out to be a great day because I finally found the boardwalk trail I have been searching for (Sarah must be good luck).  It was pretty cold and windy, and we definitely froze our butts off, but it was a fun, scenic hike!




I bet this is beautiful in the summer/fall.

 One last thought before I wrap this up...

If anyone has been wondering what became of Rupert, we figured it out!  While I was in the city this weekend, Drew spotted Rupert and a little white terrier in our yard.  Where exactly in our yard were they?  Sitting on the brick patio outside the slider, staring at the sleeping Murphy who was laying in his sunspot on the rug, completely unbeknownst to him.  Unfortunately they scampered off before BearFace could capture the picture of a lifetime.  We discovered that they belong to our neighbors, who seem to have found out about this unlikely duo's wanderings, because they have not been seen since!  

No comments:

Post a Comment