Feb 12, 2013

Feeling Crafty

Well, I sure hope everyone weathered that blizzard alright!  I was in shock at all of the pictures on Facebook and Instagram of Connecticut swimming in snow.  Although the same storm hit us in New Jersey, we only ended up with a little over a foot of snow.  BearFace had to work Friday and Saturday, while Murphy and I hunkered down and weathered the storm, and then shoveled our way out on Saturday (ok, I only shoveled part of the driveway...).

So what did I do while under house arrest?  Crafted!  I unearthed my supply of arts and craft stuff, and put a year's worth of Pinteresting to use.


The craft center, where it all happens.

First up: Good Dog Treat Jar


Murphy better step up his game...only good dogs get treats!

Supplies:

Hot glue gun
Colored paper
Stickers
Ribbon
Mod Podge

  1. Arrange letter stickers on colored paper, then apply mod podge over all layers.  (Will dry clear) 
  2. Apply mod podge on back of paper, then place on jar in desired location.
  3. Using a hot glue gun, glue a strip of ribbon around jar.
  4. Decorate with stickers, or any other fun designs!
Next: Kitchen Wall Art


Perfect for the bare wall behind my kitchen sink!


Canvas
Hot glue gun
Mod Podge
Ribbon
Colored paper
Letter stickers or computer font

  1. Apply Mod Podge to back of colored or designed paper, then apply to canvas as base. 
  2. Arrange letter stickers or printed font from computer on top of colored squares, then mod podge to base paper.
  3. Using hot glue gun, glue strips of ribbon on edges of canvas.
  4. Decorate with stickers, then hang on wall!
Every kitchen needs some of these: Magnets


They actually work, too.  Go me.


Printed design paper
Foam sheet
Mod Podge
Round Magnets (got some at Home Depot)
Hot glue gun

  1. Measure a 1x1 inch square on back of paper and cut out with scissors.
  2. Measure 1x1 inch square on foam and cut out using scissors or Xacto knife.
  3. Mod Podge back of paper and apply to foam, then apply a layer over the top of the paper.
  4. When mod podge is dry, attach magnet to back of foam using hot glue gun.  Allow to set for at least 15 minutes before placing on the fridge.
And lastly: Magnetic fridge pencil holder


Probably my finest accomplishment in life thus far.

Printed design paper
Mod Podge
Round magnets (2)
Hot glue gun
Empty soup can

  1. Measure length and diameter of can, then cut out paper to fit.
  2. Mod podge back of paper and apply to can
  3. Mod Podge over paper, making sure to seal edges to can and press out air.
  4. When mod podge is dry, attach 2 magnets to can using hot glue gun.  Allow to set 10-15 minutes before attaching to fridge.
Along with my new DIY magnets, a few notepads and my DIY pencil can, my kitchen command center is complete!


An excellent spot for to-do lists for certain 
members of the household.

What did Murphy do while I crafted and the blizzard raged?  Slept, obviously.  I guess I never realized just how lazy he is.  

I also threw this delicious meal in the crockpot in between projects.


Since I was out of chicken breasts and certainly wasn't going to attempt a drive down the snowy mountain, I ended up using thighs.  It worked out just fine, but I definitely prefer using chicken breasts when possible.  I also added in some fresh stir-fry veggies, which I found in the produce section of my grocery store (Love using fresh veggies!  Frozen veggies must die).  I added them in about 15 minutes before it was done cooking, then served everything on top of white rice.


My crockpot also loves fresh veggies.  They are best friends.


YUM!  Probably one of my favorite crockpot meals so far.

Good luck to everyone with the great dig-out of Connecticut!  I hope that no one is still stuck in their house.  For once, I must say I am happy to be in New Jersey!

No comments:

Post a Comment