Nov 27, 2012

Rainy Day Cooking

Today I was presented with an unusual problem.  Since today was my day off, and it was raining, and I had cleaned the house before leaving for Atlanta, I really didn't have much to do.  So, instead of sitting around relaxing all day (which, in hindsight, I probably would have enjoyed), I decided to spend the entire day cooking.  The whole. darn. day.

I decided to make this soup that my Aunt Jacki made with her leftover Thanksgiving turkey:

Leftover Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans and Lime

Problem: Your leftover turkey is in Atlanta.
Solution: Use a rotisserie chicken.

Problem: Your local grocery store's rotisserie chicken looks like a shriveled carcass.
Solution: Purchase a raw whole chicken and make your own chicken/chicken stock.

Problem: You purchase ingredients to make several other dishes with the leftover chicken, and then the
               cashier forgets to give you one of your bags.
Solution: NONE.  FAIL.

Luckily, I made it home with all the ingredients necessary for the soup tonight, minus the chilies.  Here is what I did for the chicken stock:

Michelle's Homemade Chicken Stock

1 5 lb. whole chicken
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 onion
Fresh oregano
Fresh thyme
Dried parsley

  1. Place chicken in a large pot, and fill with water until just covering chicken.
  2. Cut ends off carrots and celery and add to pot.  Peel onion and add to pot.
  3. Add several sprigs fresh oregano, thyme, and about 1 tbsp. parsley to pot.
  4. Cover and bring to a boil.  When boiling, turn down heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
  5. Remove chicken and let cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove meat from bone.
  6. Pour broth through a strainer, and discard vegetables and spices.
  7. Stock can be frozen or refrigerated and used for soups or other recipes!
Of course you can use canned chicken stock and leftover turkey or a rotisserie chicken (if you can find one that looks tasty) and eliminate about 3 hours of work for yourself, and it will be just as delicious.  Let me tell you, this soup was mighty delicious.  Hearty, thick, and creamy from the beans (and healthy), Drew and I both helped ourselves to 2 filling bowls.  Good find, Aunt Jacki!  


For you cilantrophiles out there, add a heaping helping of cilantro on top!

Stay tuned for more leftover chicken and chicken stock recipes!  I sure have a lot to use up...

No comments:

Post a Comment