Nov 6, 2012

Chemistry Experiment...in the Bathroom?

Before we get to my Tuesday chemistry experiment, there are a few orders of business to take care of.  First, a quick weekend recap.

  • Riding, as always.  
  • Buffalo Wild Wings Saturday night...last time I eat there!  A) Their wings don't even begin to compare to Bidwell's.  B) Found a piece of green plastic inside one of my boneless wings.  
  • Grocery shopping after Buffalo Wild Wings at 8;30 pm on a Saturday night.  Almost fell asleep while shopping.  I AM SO OLD.
  • Wreck-It Ralph Sunday afternoon movie date (trying to counteract the onset of old age by pretending I am still a child.  Not working, but it was a fun movie nonetheless).
  • And finally, home after the movies to our Big Sunday Night Dinner.

This week, Drew threw his famous Turkey and Bean Chili in the crockpot.  Warm, cozy, and oh-so-delicious-smelling.  

1 pound ground turkey meat
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 serrano chili, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 cloves minced garlic
10 dashes hot sauce
  1. Brown turkey meat, green peppers, garlic, and onions in saute pan over medium heat, about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add meat, all peppers, onions, beans, and tomato paste and sauce to crockpot.  
  3. Add spices and hot sauce and stir to combine.
  4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  
  5. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and serve with chips.


I pretty much finished off 2 bowls before remembering to snap a pic.

On to Tuesday...Murphy and I headed to the barn bright and early this morning for an 8:30 jumping lesson on Kim's horse, Chance.  Lots of fun, Chance jumped great, and the lesson Kicked. My. Butt.  I managed to scrounge up enough energy to take Chubbles out on a trail ride after, but let me tell you, I was pooped!  Which reminds me that my disgusting dog spent the entire hour-long lesson munching on poop.  He's really not picky, any kind will do.  Horse poop, deer poop, he even found some cat poop buried in the ring today.  I can yell all I want, but he knows there's nothing I can do about it while on a horse.  (He will be eating soap for dinner tonight).  Chubbles was not at all tired, and thoroughly enjoyed cantering and trotting around the newly cleared field, and actually wanted more.  


Follow that pup!  Actually, that's a terrible idea.  
Do NOT follow him.  


Here we have an oddly-colored, yet adorable boxer
modeling the new winter fashion for dogs.  


Handsome fellow. 

Then home to tackle the bathroom.  I did my weekly cleaning on Sunday, in hopes that I would actually have some time to relax today.  However, our bathroom has become a State of Emergency!  Our house has hard water, which has recently started staining the bathtub, toilet, and sink with a rust-colored stain.  I think the water just needs to be conditioned, but our regular bathroom cleaning products have no effect on the stains.  I found several sites that suggested using a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to restore the tub to its former sparkling glory.  So I sat on my bathroom floor with a bowl, mixing baking soda and vinegar to the proper paste-like consistency, then smearing it all over the rust-colored areas.  The site said to let it sit for 15 minutes, then wipe with a cloth.  That simple.  False!  I had high hopes in the beginning...lots of sizzling and fizzing (I felt like I was back in the General Chem lab at Uconn).  Maybe my stoichiometry was off, because the only result I achieved was a bathroom smelling strongly of vinegar.  Major fail.  Chemistry was always a challenge for me, anyway.

Nothing exciting in the kitchen tonight...I'm having a chicken salad craving!  I'm planning something tasty for Thursday though, so hopefully we will still have power after the nor'easter hits us tomorrow.  Luckily we still have a surplus of storm foods from the hurricane that almost completely missed us!   

No comments:

Post a Comment